- cutting board
- 2-3 different types of cheese, I usually select a hard (Parmesan style), soft (Brie or goat style) and semi-hard (cheddar style). I also try to select varying colors of cheese as well.
- a great type of cracker. This is my absolute favorite. La Panzanella Rosemary croccani crackers.
- Sprig of herb, for garnish
- Almonds, pecans or nut that will go great with cheese. I avoid peanuts of cashews. While I do like them, I don't find they mix well with cheese. Almonds are truely the best with cheese. They type without the brown skin is even better. Planters now make a small package of "skinned" almods with olive oil and sea salt.
- If you wish, a piece of seasonal fruit. Pears or apple go VERY well. If you can get figs, they are a personal favorite. When using pears of apples, use the juice of a lemon or lime and about a cup of cold water, slice the fruit thinly, and submerge the slices into the juice water mixture. If these are too complicated for you, grapes seem to be a natural pairing with cheese. For grapes, cut the stems into small clusters. you can de-stem them, but they make a better presentation as small clusters.
As you can see from the picture, I did not use fruit, but opted for salami.
Clockwise from the left hand side, Crackers, Havarti with Caraway, Mozzarella rolled with sun-dried tomato and basil, Tillamook Smoked White Cheddar with Black Pepper and Hard Dry Salami.