I have a few memories of pot pie….the first is burning my tongue on the potatoes when my sister and I would make Swanson Pot Pies from the oven. We would flip them out, upside-down onto the plate…molten gravy creaminess....and enjoy.
The second was when an assistant manager and I were discussing what she was going to make for dinner. I brought up making homemade Chicken Pot Pie. I came up with a quick recipe for her and she was set. She came back the next day, and reported that it was a hit….below is the recipe. (By The Way, I had never made it, at that point!)
Lastly, Craig and I have been making that recipe for years, and tried many different versions of it from using fresh vegetables, to making my own “cream of” soup, to using gravy, but this is has always been the hit. Also, I noticed that I have posted many picture of this pie, but not the recipe….so here it is.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Premade pie crust (2 crusts) (buy Pillbury…it make a HUGE difference-make sure you keep this COLD! It's the difference between flaky and soggy- I prefer flaky!)
- 2 Chicken breasts, chopped (Now you can use precooked Rotisserie, leftovers or cook it fresh yourself. I BBQ a couple of grilled boneless skinless breasts)
- 8 oz frozen Peas and Carrots (1/2 bag)
- 16 oz Southern Style Hash brown potatoes (cubes) (1/2 bag)
- 3 cans of “Cream of” soup (chicken, mushroom or celery-your choice or combination)
- ½ onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
Place 1 of the pie shells in a pie plate.
Mix together chicken, veggies, potatoes, onion and soup.
Put mixture in pie shell and top with second shell. Crimp edges and poke top of shell.
Bake at 350°F, for 1 hour, or until golden brown.
Cut into 6 or 8 pieces…and enjoy. 8 means you’ll enjoy seconds….6 means you’ll have leftovers!