Recently, I was on a quick work trip to Spokane, Washington. On the trip, one of my co-worker mentioned that he loves Salsa Verde, and it’s so easy to make. He showed me bottle of salsa he uses, and said just chop up the pork and pour in the sauce. My kind of dinner!! However we don’t usually eat pork, so I looked at a few recipes,and was like…..I have hatch chilies in the freezer I need to use up! So I melded a few recipes that inspired me, and made Salsa Verde, and Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas.
Instant Pot “Hatch” Chile Verde
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
1/2 roasted hatch chiles (or one fresh jalapeño, stemmed), roughly chopped
2 cans tomatillos, drained
1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Press sauté, and allow the IP to warm up
2. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
3. Add chilies, stir
4. Add tomatillos, one at a time, squeezing each when you place in the pot.
5. Add spices and stir.
6. Press, off. The press manual, and set the time for 15 minutes.
7. Allow NP release, remove lid
8. Using an emersion blender, purée sauce until smooth.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chile Verde Enchiladas
3 pounds ground chicken or your choice of meat, cooked (Pulled pork, shredded chicken, etc.)
salt and pepper, to taste
10 ounces Queso Fresco cheese
1 tub cream cheese (I used jalapeño)
1 cup shredded cheese
12 corn tortilla shells
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Place meat, cream cheese and shredded cheese into a bowl. Mix and ladle 1 scoop of the verde into the bowl.
3. Place a couple ladles of verde sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 11pan
4. Steam the tortillas, one at a time
5. Place a tablespoon or 2 of the filling mix on to a tortilla, and roll up.
6. Place enchilada onto the sauce in the pan.
7. Complete, until out of tortillas
8. Pour several ladles of sauce over enchiladas, and top with crumbled queso fresco.
9. Bake for 30-40 minutes until cheese in golden brown.