I love a quick breakfast, well any meal for that matter. Traveling for work make me figure out alternatives to fast food breakfasts, and make something that can be microwaved.
Recently while I was on the road, I tried a premade breakfast in a cup, you know where you just crack an egg. But I took and split it in two and made it a sandwich by adding an English muffin. PERFECT. I’m not so sure about healthy, but healthier than a sausage McMuffin for sure.
Well, I got home, I was like, “I’m sure I can recreate this”! So here is it is:
Frittata Breakfast Sandwiches
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon frozen diced O’Brien hash browns (this has peppers and onions)
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheese
- 2 English Muffins, split and toasted
- 1 tablespoon prediced onions and peppers, frozen.
- 1 tablespoon diced ham (prediced and frozen) or diced/crumbled bacon (you can omit if you are putting bacon or a sausage patty on the sandwich)
- 4 strips of bacon (optional)
- 2 sausage patties (optional)
- 2 slices of cheese (optional)
- In a larger Ramekin, place hash browns and cheese and crack the eggs. Add salt and pepper as needed. (At this point you can add the additional optional items, if desired).
- Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds. Remove and stir. Microwave again for 90 seconds. When complete, ramekin will be hot. Touch the top of the eggs, if firm remove. If not firm, microwave for another 30 seconds.
- While eggs were cooking toast English Muffin and heat sausage patty, if adding.
- Remove eggs from microwave and turn ramekin upside down on cutting board. Allow to cool slightly.
- Split eggs in half sideways to make two egg patties. Place one on each half of English Muffin. Add sausage, bacon and or cheese if desired.
- On my sandwich I used a sausage patty and omitted the ham in the frittata.
- To make things quicker in the morning, pre-dice the optional items and freeze them in a ziplock baggie, flat. Once partially frozen break them up so you don’t have a block to deal with in the am.