Having worked in a deli for many years, we made this in batches 30-40 pounds a day, at least. It was one of our most popular salads. The recipe is ingrained in my memory. It’s one I pull out on a hot day, or when I don’t know what else to make.
This being said, we had a way of prepping the cucumber, that I have never seen anywhere else. You need one of those cheaper peelers. (See pictures)
Greek Tomato Salad
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 tomatoes, wedged
- 2 medium cucumber, lightly peeled halved and deseeded
- 6 kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Add red onion, toss to coat. Led sit for a few minutes to ease the sharpness of the onion.
- Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, olives and cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 5 servings.
- Wash the cucumber,
- Peel strips off the outside of the cucumber,
- Flip around the peeler scoop out the seeds
- Slice the cucumber into 1/2 moons.
- If you want smaller pieces, cut the 1/2’s into 1/4’s