Ok, I know you all might not be a fan of tofu, but have you actually even tried it. Honestly? My guess is a firm no. However it is pretty amazing in this dish (ok you can sub in chicken, but….boring!!)
A little history about the tofu I used. Craig and I were watching Top Chef Portland, and they did an episode on Ota Tofu, a local, (and the oldest) tofu company here in Portland. We both said we need to try that. Fast forward to a few weeks later snd some really good friends were in town and we went to dinner, unknowingly we parked in front of Ota. I was just giddy. However they were not open. The next week I found some in an Asian market and decided on this dish. Which is PERFECT for a 4th of July celebration! Maybe just cause it’s called “firecracker”?!?!
- 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu - 14 oz package
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
For the Sweet-Spicy Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Karo Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2-3 Green Onion Stalks - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2-3 Green Onion Stalks - chopped thinly
Making the Crispy Tofu.
- Start by cutting the tofu into bite-size pieces or about 1-inch size.
- Then pour the cornstarch on a large plate.
- Add the sliced tofu pieces in the cornstarch and toss to coat them evenly.
- Heat 1/2 the sesame oil in a non-stick pan/wok.
- Add 8-10 coated tofu pieces and shallow fry for 3-4 minutes (turn sides and cook tofu evenly until light golden brown).
- Remove the cooked tofu and repeat the step until all leftover tofu is cooked.
Making the Sweet-Spicy Sauce:
- Take a large bowl and add all the sauce ingredients in it. Whisk to mix everything evenly.
- In the same non-stick pan/wok and add the whisked sauce ingredients from the bowl.
- Saute the sauce and let this simmer on low heat for a minute.
- Add larger green onion pieces.
- After a minute, add the crispy tofu and stir to mix everything.
- Make sure the sauce evenly coats each side of crispy tofu.
- Let this cook for another 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Transfer the Firecracker Tofu to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Serve hot with choice of side.